Friday, September 6, 2013

Plant ABCs: S is for Sophora Secundiflora

Plant ABCs is an ongoing series in which I am highlighting a plant from my garden for each letter of the alphabet.  I'm currently going through the entire alphabet A - Z, then will continue updating and adding plants to the list over time.  My previous posts in the series are on the "Plant ABCs" tab under the header.  Today's letter is "S" and Sophora Secundiflora is the highlighted plant. 

The Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora Secundiflora) was one of the first plants I learned to name.  Of course I knew only its common name for many years.  Texas Mountain Laurel was my father's favorite and whenever I'm asked to name my favorite plant this is the one I choose.



It always brings back special memories.  When I was about eight years old my dad brought some of the distinctive red seeds back from a trip to Austin to plant in our yard in suburban west Houston.  He began by scuffing the seeds with a file and soaking them overnight.  While I observed the process, he told me about this special evergreen native plant and the beautiful blooms it would produce.  He often talked of his childhood in Austin and the fun of exploring his grandmother's ranch in the hill country west of town with his brothers.  We made the trip out there several times a year, but I don't remember seeing the Texas Mountain Laurel in bloom.

I think he planted about five seeds and just one grew to maturity on a raised mound near the garage.  Considering Houston meets none of the soil or climate requirements of this plant except the heat part, it was quite an accomplishment to get one to grow at all.  Fast forward ten years and the first blooms appeared just about the time I graduated from high school.  The beautiful pea-like blossoms smelled just like grape soda and I was smitten.



Fast forward a few more years and it was an absolute delight to find two beautiful Texas Mountain Laurels already planted in the front yard when we purchased our home in San Antonio back in 1995.  They are slow growing so this was a real bonus with the house.  Add that they are deer proof and exceptionally drought tolerant to the list of benefits and you have a great native plant for our region.


It's evergreen with a pretty structure so it looks great even when not in bloom.  These mature shrubs never get supplemental water yet easily endure even the most extended drought.  The more heat the better.  The Texas Mountain Laurel along the street is kept limbed up to show off the form while the one back by the garage (above) is left more natural and shrubby to hide the window a bit. 
 
  
I was even more thrilled to find numerous wild plants growing along the creek behind the house.  You can see another young tree popping up just to the right.  The tough tap root motors right through the caliche.



Two years ago I added a Sephora Secundiflora 'Silver Peso' to the front yard.  The 'Silver Peso' leaf is softer and the deer nibble regularly so it has to be caged until it matures.  The once silvery leaves are also turning greener over time so this one has been a bit of a disappointment.

  
The blooms give way to brown seed pods by summer's end.


The red seeds are sometimes drilled and strung into necklaces.  The seeds are poisonous if ingested but I have never experienced a problem from handling them.


A couple of dropped seeds have sprouted in the gravel near the driveway.  These will most likely be removed since the long tap root means they don't transplant well.

  
We planted one from seed to disguise the light pole and street sign 15 years ago and it's now blooming beautifully each year.  The Texas Mountain Laurel is native to a narrow range of Texas and, due to its drought and heat tolerance, has become increasingly popular throughout the desert southwest.


Those blooms are amazing.


The Texas Bluebonnet is the iconic native Texas wildflower, but I would submit that the Texas Mountain Laurel just might edge them out in the hearts of those of us who live where this plant grows so well.

14 comments:

  1. What a great native plant for your region! That's a lovely shot of the one limbed up, with Salvia (greggii?) growing under it. I doubt it would grow here, but I still loved learning about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is salvia greggii around the base of it. I think there are members of the sophora family that will grow there. Danger Garden mentions them from time to time.

      Delete
  2. Well, I understand how you turned out to be a gardener, Shirley, having watched your dad work seed magic all those years ago. Texas mountain laurel may be responsible for our move to Texas from North Carolina 20 years ago. We visited Austin to check out the city during "grape-soda season" and were smitten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my grandmothers were avid gardeners too so it was highly probable that I would get the gardening bug early.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful plant, and equally beautiful back-story. Nothing beats a garden filled with memories of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to share memories and this one works. So far my attempts to grow plants from Houston have not worked so well.

      Delete
  4. The legume family is amazing, your Sophora blooms look a lot like shorter Wisteria blooms, without the trouble of all the invasive house-eating vines. Too bad it is such a heat-lover, we don't get a lot of that up here, though plants that don't need summer water fit right in here. We lived with my gardening grandpa for a while when I was 3-5 and I got the gardening bug from him. His okra plants with their hibiscus blooms towered over my head. It's wonderful having a gardening heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories like these are sweet and I love carrying on a family tradition.

      There is a selection of Sophora which has much larger blooms just like wisteria. A plant native to the region cannot be invasive of course so that's a complete bonus.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, if I lived in Texas I would definitely have one of those! Love it! All aspects of it. And it's wonderful to hear your family story about your memories of this particular plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too bad the plant does best in a narrow range. You have other plants like lilacs to enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Lovely plant and equally lovely story! I have never heard about Texas Mountain Laurel before, but that’s probably because I guess it is not a plant suitable for northern Europe. I have several plants in my garden I have a special relationship with for different reasons and the story behind them makes them all the more treasured. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy seeing your plants and hearing the stories behind them as well.

      Delete
  7. I have fallen in love with Texas mountain laurel since moving here...the scent is intoxicating. It is also by far my Texas husbands fav!!! What a sweet post honoring your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those plants, you hear so much about bluebonnets and we do celebrate the TML locally but it's not nearly as well known outside Texas.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.