Monday, September 16, 2013

"Fall" Foliage for Foliage Follow-up September 2013

It's not easy to find fall colors in South Texas.  By the time we experience anything approaching fall weather it will be nearly winter on the calendar.  I'm joining Pam at Digging for Foliage follow-up on the 16th of each month to show off the foliage in our gardens.

So with the Autumn season approaching quickly I went in search of fall colors in our near triple digit temperatures and found...Cannas.  Just for a few moments forget that these plants are here all summer and enjoy.

Canna Tropicanna in matching planters by the front door.






I've read that anoles will often claim a plant as their own


Considering the looks this one is giving me, I think it's true.  "This one is taken, move on lady...."


Canna warscewicziii (center) and Intrique (l&r) are combined in the face planter provide more burgundy color.


The Yucca 'Color Guard' are in need of replacement soon as their time in the shade has not been kind.

 

This green isn't exactly a fall color but I am amazed at how pretty plain green canna foliage can be in the softer light of September.  This is the special hybrid canna grown from seed and shared by a friend I have posted about previously.



To enjoy more foliage from bloggers around the world be sure to check out the comments section of Digging.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I love Cannas! People grow them here, too, as annuals, and they grow very fast with our long, hot summer days. The views you've showed here are stunning, Shirley. As you say, the September sun is lovely on plants. I remember seeing Anoles on Cannas at the New Orleans botanical garden--such cute critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply stunning cannas! And I am in love with the lizards. For a brief period I lived in Sarasota and they were a personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you clever, looking for "fall color" in the summery leaves of cannas and yuccas! Cute anole too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That canna with the anole looks so exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colored canna leaves, and orange or red flowers. Your Anoles are so cute! I miss them. Do you also have Horned Toads? I seem to remember seeing them in San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, Shirley, I wasn`t sure if Anoles thrived in that rock country. Jealous of the face planter, :) Also the "fall" has been a bust so far ,huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos Shirley! You really caught the beauty of backlit canna foliage and the shots of the anole are way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new pet has extremely good taste. That last photo is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are stunning these days Shirley! :) I love the lizard giving you the hand - heeee! Pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cannas are hard to beat. So much color and so easy. Love love love the photos with the lizard- too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Cannas are beautiful! I really like the color of the Canna Tropicanna. Love the face planter:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning canna foliage and well loved by many...that pot with the lips is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.