Thursday, February 14, 2013

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day February 2013

It's Garden Blogger's Bloom Day (GBBD) and my garden has a few blooms to show for February.  It's been a mild winter so far and we've got about a month to go.

Kalanchoes brighten the sill outside the breakfast room.  Next year I'll plant them in all three succulent baskets for winter blooms.  These are covered when we get a cold snap.



The same Kalanchoe again in the strawberry pot. Succulents are the best choice for these pots which I enjoy collecting at garage sales.  I call these "Big Box" Kalanchoe because they are commonly found there and at the supermarket.


 The red shrimp plant has escaped the deer long enough to bloom.


Pink Penta, typically an annual in our climate, continues to bloom by the back door.  In the summer there are so many blooms on this plant I can see them from the kitchen.  It looks good so I expect it will continue to bloom through the year.


That's a pretty good GBBD for February.  Join Carol at May Dreams Gardens to see many blooms shared by bloggers from around the world.

6 comments:

  1. Kalanchoes are houseplants here in London, great you can have them outside :-) Spring has been slow to take off, it's been very cold for a long time, but we are getting there eventually! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to see the penta blooming! And you say it's usually an annual even there - you must have made it very happy this winter for it to still be going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your kalanchoes. I planted them as annuals one year and just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    My Kalanchoes are budding (in the house) but no blooms yet.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many in town have had plants in bloom for 2-3 weeks...awaiting my winter jasmine. Nice down there in SA, so I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yellow Kalanchoe adds such a lovely splash of colour in amongst the succulents. Love your pretty pink Pentas. Pentas are such a staple in gardens here, and always look great. It's wonderful to see those fabulous red Shrimp Plant flowers. I have one of those plants growing here, and it's been blooming non-stop for months now. It's simply fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.