Last year on October 9, 2010, I took a photo to document progress.
So why does the second one look like it should be the "before" photo? The 2011 drought and heat has been brutal. As you can see, the Zebra and Ruby Crystal grasses in the driveway island about halfway back on the left are toast. Both of them looked great in that spot for two years, but this year fried them despite regular watering and it turned out they weren't drought tolerant enough for this drought. So even more drought tolerant grasses Muhlenbergia lindheimeri and Nassella tenuissima will replace them soon.
The small Sago in the foreground has been transplanted to a shadier spot and replaced with Dasylirion wheeleri. Salvia greggii and lantana are struggling compared to the show they put on last year.
The oak trees were watered this year and while they aren't as full they will be fine. We got rain just in time.
The lesson is that sometimes despite your best efforts things just go backwards. I'll take this as an opportunity to learn what "drought tolerant" really means here in San Antonio.