Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sage Confetti Inspired by The Whimsical Gardener

There are always ideas for blog posts floating around in my mind waiting until something special nudges the idea into place.  That's what happened when Cat over at The Whimsical Gardener blog wrote a beautiful post about nature's confetti in the fall.

As she often does she inspired me to think about my own yard in a different way. It turned out to be a very special request because I've often thought of sharing these pretty dropped blossoms from our native Texas sage.


























The idea never quite came together in a post until this week.  The petals are now confetti and by tagging along with Cat's idea I can post these photos.


A bee was after nectar from the dropped blooms on the ground.  I had the wrong lens on the camera, but I managed to get the bee crawling into the blossom in the middle of this shot.




Be sure to click this link to see how Cat interpreted nature's confetti.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the color of the blooms. We had a lot of Crepe myrtle confetti in our old yard. So much so that the neighbors complained about it in their yard. It's just flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfuly I don`t have to live close up to someone, at that, someone who would complain about blooms!

      Delete
    2. That is a odd complaint although I could see that happening. My neighbor in New England told me I was supposed to rake my leaves daily to keep them out of her yard.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The sage blooms infrequently and the blossoms begin to fall quickly so I enjoy them on the ground as well.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I do think of fall as a blowout party to end the summer season. I love the idea of dropped flowers/leaves as confetti. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A party is an interesting idea, we don't have much of a fall here compared to the east coast though so we have to celebrate mostly with blossoms.

      Delete
  4. Confetti is a perfect way to describe fallen flowers and leaves. I'm blessed with the nicest neighbors in the world; they're way more tidy in their garden than I so they just blow their confetti over to my garden where I gather and compost it or use it for mulch. It's much easier than when I'd raid their yard waste dumpster periodically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was perfect too. Those are nice neighbors you have. Mine have been tossing their leaves over the back fence for 20+ years and since they don't use the compost I'm welcome to take whatever I need. It looks just like potting soil under the pile.

      Delete
  5. I usually have so much confetti from Salvia greggii and a few others...but no rain, and too strong of cold, dry winds this weekend...just desiccated blooms and stems until they recover. The confetti is amazing, isn't it?

    That TX Sage is something when it's that purple-ish confetti.

    You should see the confetti in mid-late spring in Phoenix and Tucson from all the golden Palo Verde blossoms on the ground! It's as striking as when they are on the trees against blue desert skies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.