Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fireworks!

There are all kinds of fireworks around here on Independence Day.

My favorite summer flower in the garden is Gomphrena 'Fireworks'.  Improbably gorgeous color that doesn't fade in our intense sun and heat.  I've never seen it wilt and it returned after our recent mild winter.



Really does look like fireworks bursting out with Mexican Bird of Paradise in the background




Then there are the real fireworks from a nearby megachurch.  They have a fireworks display several times a year and we typically watch from our deck.  From our viewpoint the fireworks burst just below the treeline so they usually look like glowing trees.


These are from New Year's Eve.  Not bad considering we don't have to go anywhere.


The cooler than average weather prompted us to walk over to the street behind the house to watch.  This time we had a better view just above the treetops.  The fireworks began about 9:10 right at sunset.







To get an even better view we walked another block or so over to the highway and watched the grand finale.  The streetlights and car lights are a bit of a distraction for photos but it is a clearer view.







Happy Independence Day!  Hope you all had a great time too!

17 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day, Shirley! I've never grown Gomphrena, but I'm tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I know where we are going next year - heeeeee! Just kiddding. I need to post on my gomphrena too - it is going gangbusters out there. Happy 4th to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too far from you and you can watch from many nearby vantage points as well. It's a lot easier than going to Woodlawn Lake.

      Delete
  3. Had a nice relatively quiet Independence Day! While airshows are exciting, ours takes place a few blocks from us so the roar of the jets for a couple of days (practice) along with all of the explosions from neighborhood fireworks sometimes gets a little overpowering. I was not entirely sad that the airshow this year had only biplanes and other prop aircraft which are much quieter than the usual jets. Don't get me wrong, I'm very patriotic but the older I get, the less I like lots of loud noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to spend the day quietly as you choose.

      Jets can get loud and after years of living on or near Air Force bases we made sure our retirement home was not in the flight path of our local airport.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Your fireworks pictures are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose you are finding your Gomphrena in local nurseries. I had zero luck from seed. Looks great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a number of great nurseries with a huge selection. Gomphrena have a low germination rate although I have tons of them sprouting in the gravel this summer so you might try that.

      Delete
  6. I had gomphrena last year that I just loved. I saved the seed, but planted them late - after the hot and dries settled in. As Randy above, I've had no germination. This is a great Texas summer plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great for the hot dry times of summer. I let the seeds from last year fall in the garden and have them sprouting all over the place now. It's probably not too late in the year for them as they seem to weather all but the coldest days.

      Delete
  7. I tried to take photos of the fireworks we're able to view from our backyard. the viewing was great - the photos were not. Yours are fantastic! I hope you're enjoying an extended weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris. A tripod is key to night photos. To reduce camera shake at slower shutter speed I used the delay feature.

      Delete
  8. Great photos...all the fireworks I need. Those first photos make a good case for combining hot pinks and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot colors are a natural in our climate, they also fit in with the colorful traditions in San Antonio.

      Delete
  9. I can see why you love this plant...it just pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color looks unreal and unlike any other flower. It's amazing.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.