Monday, July 22, 2013

Enjoying the new view

When we replaced the fence and extended the perennial border around our buffalo grass lawn this past spring I quickly realized that something more was needed in the front left corner by the new fence.

  

I had always planned seating in that spot and intended to move a bench there when the beds were finished.  Once we began the work a bench seemed a bit boring for the spot so I began to visualize what would work better.  My favorite idea was to place Adirondack chairs there.

Then the questions began.  Are they a classic or overused?  Natural or painted?  Footrest or not?  Which ones would be the best option?

I found my answer when our neighbors had a moving sale last week and I bought their chairs which now look to me as if they've always been in that spot.  They are colorful and very comfortable with built-in footrests.


Much better



I love it when a plan works and now we can sit and look at the view across the lawn and the circle garden.  It's hard to believe that this was a weedy patch of dirt less than two years ago.  Check out the link to see how much better the garden looks this year.




What a great view!  This has been a year of great progress in the back yard.

23 comments:

  1. I love it, when things come together.

    Love the chairs. And, the garden is looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw them, they looked perfect.

      Delete
  2. Those chairs were a perfect choice, how very fortuitous that your neighbors were selling them. They look quite comfortable. I need more seating in my garden, but I never know quite where to put it. I have a couple of patios, and there are comfy lawn chairs on one of them, but I need more than that. Hmm...not that I ever sit in them for long. That is a great view. What is the tall orange flower? Probably something I've never heard of that will only grow in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tall flower is called Caeselpinia pulcherrima or Mexican Bird of Paradise. It would do fine in PNW but needs a lot of sun.

      Delete
  3. Hard to beat Adirondak chairs. They're ubiquitous for a reason. My favorite feature is the wide arm rests, like built-in tables for a book and a drink. I'll picture you sipping and reading in your wonderful setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These have the traditional wide arms which I like. I've tried to read there but I keep peeking at the garden.

      Delete
  4. The chairs look great and are comfy- we have some and love them. Great choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem just right for the spot.

      Delete
  5. i love your new chairs. It's important to take time to savor the results of our hard work in the garden. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to spend a little time there each day which is still surprising to me since I used to avoid that whole area.

      Delete
  6. Your new chairs are perfect! Is it ever cool enough for you to sit in them? Your new view is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps drop in the early evening while it is still light enough to enjoy.

      Delete
  7. I think your chairs look wonderful. I think all gardens need a resting spot so you can sit back and enjoy the view. Plus, those chairs are really comfy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are surprisingly comfy and, while we have several sitting spots, this area was seriously in need of seating. More than I knew until the seating was in place.

      Delete
  8. Those chairs are perfect for that spot! Comfortable, classy, down-to-earth, and whimsical all at the same time. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surprisingly perfect find for a moving sale!

      Delete
  9. You must be thrilled with your find. They do look as though they were meant for the spot. Now a nice little table between and maybe a nice umbrella for a hot day. That and a book and a cool drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do face west and it's hot there in the afternoon. A fun umbrella might be in order although we have some other spots available for those times too.

      Delete
  10. Shirley, this time to sit and enjoy your new view! The lawn and a bed with flowers looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always loved Adirondack chairs and your finds are perfect. I'm also impressed by the progress you've made with your former "weedy patch of dirt". It gives me hope that I can make similar progress on the homely areas of my own garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep making progress and you'll look and be surprised like I was one day soon.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.