Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wildflower Wednesday July 2014: Matelea reticulata

So pretty and delicate it could be a lacy dress trim--if any of us still wear such things.

Matelea reticulata or Green Milkweed Vine is my choice for Wildflower Wednesday July 2014.  Wildflower Wednesday on the fourth Wednesday of each month is when Gail of Clay and Limestone invites garden bloggers to post about native flowering plants in their garden.

The delicate netted flowers with the iridescent pearl centers make it easy to see why Pearl Milkweed is also one of its common names.



I was thrilled to discover this deciduous, vining milkweed growing in the woods across the creek last summer and even more pleased to find several plants appearing along our property line this year.  We had transplanted a few and scattered seeds sent by a friend though some of the vines may have been there for a while. It's not a foliage standout and not the most distinctive plant in the woods since it mostly blends in as it does here by growing on the Texas persimmons between the oaks.  We also recently removed some hackberries and other obnoxious plants to allow room for nice natives to grow along the creek.

Now that I know to look for those heart-shaped leaves I'm finding it in the perennial beds and all over the place.


It seems to do best with morning sun and afternoon shade from the trees.  Among the butterflies known to lay eggs on the Matelea reticulata is the Monarch.  I spotted a Monarch in the garden this week so maybe the presence of these vines near the butterfly garden will help them along.  The vine also plays host to the Queen butterfly of which there are literally hundreds in the garden this summer.  I'll keep a lookout for butterfly eggs on the vines soon.

Those tiny flowers produce a large seed pod about three inches in length.


The pod dries and splits to reveal silky threads and the seeds.



The dried pods are a stand-out against the green foliage of native plants along the creek.



Heart-shaped leaves, fascinating seedpods and then there are those lacy star-shaped flowers.  It's a pleasure to have this plant find a home in my garden.


As with many of the other native plants I discover in my garden Matelea reticulata is native to just a few counties in Central, South and West Texas.  It's a nice trade-off we have with our tough climate--special plants designed to grow where many nursery plants will not.

And the deer ignore it which is another bonus.

Check out Clay and Limestone where Gail is featuring the very tall Cup Plant for Wildflower Wednesday.

23 comments:

  1. Excellent photos, Shirley. Milkweed Vine is such a great choice for Wildflower Wednesday. I don't have that plant, but I think it's just lovely. I have plenty of queen butterflies, so presumably, it must be around?? Great post about a great plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to transplant easily and reseeds as well. The queen butterflies are mainly here for the Gregg's Bluemist flowers but I'd like to see them find a place to lay their eggs.

      Delete
  2. I bought one of these at the wildflower plant sale in the spring and promptly proceeded to forget all about it. Time to go on a little hunt and see how it faired. Thanks for the reminder and the pics. That should help me locate it if it's still out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it, they seem to do best with neglect so it should be fine.

      Delete
  3. Although they have struggled along because of being in too much sun the two little vines you passed along to me are blooming for the first time. I've was afraid I'd lose them if I tried to move them to a more shady spot so I'm glad to know you've successfully transplanted them. I'll do that this winter. I'll be more brave if I had seeds to back them up ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are blooming then seeds should appear soon but they seem to take to transplanting quite well.

      Delete
  4. The many stages are nice, but OH, the POD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful design in the way it transforms.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Shirley. Hope you've been getting some nice rain. I know over here in Tucson, my garden is happy this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had more rain this year, still in drought though. I think we are in for a few weeks of no rain just as your monsoon season is starting up.

      Delete
  6. How amazing that such a small flower could produce such a big seed pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants are fascinating in that way. So many discoveries.

      Delete
  7. What a neat find! Sadly, most people would not think twice of 'getting rid' of yet another weed on their property. You've found the hidden treasure that makes us gardeners. I love their seed pods! I had know idea they were so restrictive in their range.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restrictive in their native range but they would probably do well where you are too.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love it! What a treasure! I think the little flowers are so delicate looking. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so small but will easily draw your attention once you spot them.

      Delete
  9. Hi Shirley, with great interest I read your post about the Pearl Milkweed, a plant completely new to me! I love the photo of the dried seed pod with the green foliage in the background (fifth from the top). It is amazing to me that this plant is only at home in the small habitat of Central, South and West Texas. Thanks for blogging about it! Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an area that demands especially adaptive plants and I'm becoming more interested in the concept the more I learn. The habitat covers about 500 miles so small by Texas standards but bigger than a number of states.

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of a trailing milkweed but what a cool plant! You've had hundreds of butterflies? That's incredible. They've been few and far between here. It's pretty depressing. I love those little white flowers. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The queen butterflies are addicted to the Gregg's mistflower and will stick around as long as they can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice find! Texas has so many different plants and habitats. It's really a cute little flower, and amazing seedpod. I hope some Monarchs find it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shirley I had never heard of this native or seen it before...i am in love!! What an incredible seed pod.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.