Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Foliage Follow-up July 2014: Cannas and Caladiums add summer color

Foliage Follow-up hosted by Pam at Digging invites posts about foliage in the garden so today I'm showing my recent update of the face planter in the front garden.  Just over two years ago for Foliage Follow-Up in April of 2012 I posted about planting the face planter.  The deer developed a taste for the original planting of Cordyline so I replaced them with burgundy Cannas.   Everything looked great for a couple of years but by spring 2014 it needed a rework, especially since the Yucca 'Color Guard' plants were not getting enough sun.

I decided to leave the Cannas in place since they were doing so well.



There are two varieties of Canna in the planter--Canna indica warscewiczii and Canna Intrigue.  I like the mix of deep burgundy and green foliage this combination brings to this shady area of the garden.


To replace the Yucca I added Caladiums from a large bag of assorted colors I picked up earlier in the spring from a big box store.  Caladiums are new to my garden but not to me.  My mother grew them for years in front of our home in Houston.  Knowing these old-fashioned favorites thrive in hot, humid, shady conditions I decided to give them a try this year.  I'm enjoying the color and pattern of the Caladiums.


I have also added Caladiums to containers like this one on a small table in the front garden and tucked them in here and there around the garden for a bit of color in the shade.  The colors, even the pinks and reds, are very cooling in the summer garden.

While Caladiums can remain in ground and return after most winters in Houston, I will need to store them to protect from frost in our colder San Antonio climate.  Some sites indicate deer will eat the foliage.  They've been here for several months and I have not seen any deer damage while nearby plants have been nibbled.


While I also remember Cannas from my childhood, I don't remember any foliage other than green so the varieties available now make them seem new.  Cheery, cooling foliage combinations just right for our hot, humid summers.


For more foliage ideas on this day after Garden Blogger's Bloom Day check out the comments section at Digging.

22 comments:

  1. Colorful, luscious leaves for July--nice photos and that foliage looks like it might actually cool things off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the word luscious, very descriptive. As cooling as the front garden seems now, I'll check back in August when things really heat up!

      Delete
  2. Cannas weren't a favorite of mine when we lived in Massachusetts, but I adore them now. So bright and tropical. I should try a few Caladiums too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how our perceptions change. I had not given cannas much thought until I saw the dark burgundy ones in large container arrangements at a resort hotel. Then I had to have them.

      Delete
  3. I love colorful foliage. They last much longer than flowers do. My favorites are purple oxalis, purple heart, and variegated cannas. I love your red leaf cannas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorful foliage is a lot easier than flowers and there are more foliage varieties for shade.

      Delete
  4. Those cannas and caladiums have luscious leaves. Just the thing to brighten a hot, humid summer day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to go back to old favorites and find out just why they are favorites.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing akin to sun shining through Canna leaves - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are placed so the morning sun hits them just right. Then all I have to do is get out there at the right time with a camera.

      Delete
  6. I'm a total sucker for cannas. They provide so much impact without any fuss. I love their blooms but I too really grow them for their leaves, especially now there are so many colors available. There is one yellow and green variegated type (tropicanna gold I think?) that reminds me of a huge caladium. Which - hello ladies! Your caladiums are gorgeous and those pops of color all summer long will certainly make for a lovely view. I put all mine away from the deer - I'll be keen to hear if yours continue to escape their interest because I'd love to use them out front where I have loads of shade.

    I always think I'll dig my caladiums out and store them for reuse the next season but they never seem to do as well the second year as the first. Do you have any secrets to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year in quite a while that I'll try to winter them over so we'll see. In the past I've only had one or two in an arrangement so haven't bothered with them much.

      Delete
  7. You can't beat tropical foliage to help make you feel cooler in the hot summer. Cannas are a favorite of mine since they come back year after year and have few pests. They're actually way more drought tolerant than I ever thought possible. My colonies have declined through this drought, but they're still hanging in there. In wetter times than can actually spread and become a nuisance. I remember having to thin them regularly in the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had noticed many of my cannas have struggled the last few years but with all this rain they should make a comeback this year.

      The tropical foliage is relaxing and cooling which we will need over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  8. I plant caladiums every year for all of the reasons evryone has mentioned. This year I treated myself to 3 of the gigantic bulbs and I was rewarded with huge, colorful leaves. I have to grow them on my deck since the deer love them too!!! My Mother always grew cannas and I had forgotten just how pretty they are . Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I see how well they work in my garden I will have to look for the big ones. I'm definitely adding more elephant ears and similar plants over the years.

      Delete
  9. Your cannas look great, I am growing some burgundy ones this year too, so far I haven't had any deer damage. I plan to dig them. I haven't tried Caladiums, but I really like the variegation and pink colors of yours, with such beauty who needs flowers? A couple of round garden art objects strategically placed for eyes would make the face planter really pop. I can almost make out an eye peeking through the Caladiums on the left side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding eyes would would be a way to have a little fun with the planter. That's a good point about the caladiums subbing for flowers in the shade.

      Delete
  10. I've never come across Caladiums before, how intriguing, and the overall effect with the cannas is very dramatic. I love the sunlight filtering through the canna leaves, really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little research and learned that most of the UK is too cool in summer for them. Kew Gardens grows them under glass. They are native to South and Central America and need temperatures above 80F/27C to thrive. During our hottest days we sometimes see that as a low overnight.

      Delete
  11. Shirley,
    Have seen these face pots in catalogs but never planted. The shocking canna hair makes it. I'd be tempted to put a big miscanthus in there (best if a friend was dividing so you can put in a substantial size) Might be something to try down the road.
    Best,
    Patrick
    PS Stop by and view my first GBBD post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy changing things up a bit so miscanthus is a good option if there is enough sun. I'm off to check out your GBBD post!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.