Friday, August 31, 2012

Two Palms Up!

A few weeks ago I wrote about adding a Bismarck palm (Bismarckia nobilis) to the garden in front of the garage.  It was an even bigger hit than I expected and there are a lot of fans of the Bismarck palm around.




Such a positive response gave me an idea.  The northeast corner still needed something special and I'd been considering several plant options.   I loved the new palm.  One Bismarckia, two bismarckia...why not?  Here is the spot before planting the second palm.



If one palm is good, then two palms are even better.  Nicely balanced with the addition of silvery foliage on the northeast side of the yard.   The palm will eventually grow up into the oaks here, but that will take years.


Here you see both palms bracketing a variety of silvery textures across the front yard.



One more from the northeast across the yard to the other palm.



Gotta love that instant impact!

18 comments:

  1. I think those palms are beautiful! I especially love your cacti and agaves!! You've really made that an attractive area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, it's beginning to pull together.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Great idea, if you can plant them why stop at one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will likely stop at two since they take up a lot of space.

      Delete
  3. Looks great. I like that silver foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking very silvery out there, now I might need to slow down on the silver plants.

      Delete
  4. Yea Shirley! You will love your decision to buy two as they fill out and gain in palm fronds and beauty. I'm a sucker for palms and a sucker for silver, so it's a double love whammy. BTW, you have some cool agaves there.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, agaves are a common trade plant around here.

      Delete
  5. Oh how cooooool! Love how they look Shirley - they belong there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those silvery palms, looking good now and I think it will just look better and better with time. LT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an important consideration in landscaping and I really wanted the instant impact.

      Delete
  7. I really do love that plant and your siting of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really know how to make a boy envious! Hooray for another Bismarck palm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when writing the post. The nursery had a silver Mazari palm that is supposed to be even hardier than Bismarck. That might work for you.

      Delete
  9. Never cared much for palms, but WOW...I'm an instant convert. You're right: they add just the dramatic punch to bring the whole composition alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palms, cactus, agaves were three plants I sought to avoid when first planning the landscape and now I have all of them.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.