Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Nicest Thing

"Oh, you live in that house with the beautiful landscaping."


Wow, that's what a neighbor several blocks down the street said when we introduced ourselves and described where we lived.  Could he have said anything that would brighten my day more?  I can't think of anything just now.


After three years of hard work it was wonderful to hear a spontaneous compliment like that.  Nearby neighbors have made positive and much appreciated comments about the improvements, but this was the first time I realized that other neighbors who walk or drive by each day have noticed.


I could have politely answered "Thank you" and left it at that, but instead I told him that he had just made my day and we discussed some of the work we've done.

Okay, just had to share.  Thanks for listening out there, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely compliment, and looking at your photos, I can see why he said it. And I'm not exactly a neighbour, not even close, but you must be really proud to have such a lovely garden. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! I do appreciate that not only are you far away geographically, but the tough plants we have to choose from here are dramatically different from your very green locale.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to be complimented - and how fabulous to know that your neighbors are all admiring your garden and landscaping. How could they not notice your creative and well cared for plants and garden? So nice that he articulated his thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you're getting the positive feedback you deserve, and I think it was great of you to tell him how nice it was to hear. Of course this reminds me of the time (not long ago) I had a neighbor tell me that she does garden coaching if I needed any help...pretty much the opposite of your compliment!

    Beautiful photos...you really have done a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, she didn't! Really? This reminds me of Holley's (above) recent post on using just eight plants. You are a plant collector and she didn't recognize the difference.

      Thanks for your encouraging comments, Loree.

      Delete
  4. That's a great compliment and it would have made my day as well. Whenever someone comes over and pays the gardens a longer glance than normal, it makes me feel good. But to me it looks like a dump:) Non stop work. No rest for the wicked:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making improvements that will pay off over time. From what I've seen the work you're doing, it won't be long until visitors really take notice.

      Delete
  5. It's always nice to have others notice all your work.
    We have neighbors walk by and comment on how nice things look. And, I see people I don't know, stop out front and look around.
    Makes you feel good, doesn't it?
    You deserve the praise. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley, what is the little tree with dark bark in the strip beside the street? I really love what you've done with your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a Texas Mountain Laurel and was part of the original landscaping here so it's nearly 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.