Thursday, April 26, 2012

Foxtail Cactus Blooms

This appears to be the week all our cacti decided to bloom and it's been a banner year.  They seem to be competing with one another, and the latest is this Escobaria vivipara with multiple bright pink blossoms.  It was relocated from my brother-in-law's place near Tijeras, New Mexico, just east of Albuquerque.


It's known by several common names, but my favorite is Foxtail Cactus.  We have been happy to have these in our yard for nearly three years now.  I know it's definitely hardy as it gets far colder on the east side of Sandia Peak than it does here.  




Also note the unusual spiral cactus in the background which remains unidentified.  The cactus collection is growing quickly now since the drought increased my appreciation of cactus in the garden.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love that hot pink color on the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cacti are amazing!!!:) I love them. I wish I could put them everywhere....and the flowers aer gorgeous!! I add several new ones every year.....I just don't like putting them in:( No matter how hard I try...or the gloves and tools I use....I still stick myself! I'd love to a non lethal method at some point...but no one has come up with any ideas yet on how to handle these beauties:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is that sticky issue. We use BBQ tongs and wrap them with old socks.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful blooms.
    I use folded newspaper as a 'shield' against the pricklies. That works most of the time.
    I think there needs to be more cactus around here, too. Pretty, drought tolerant, and the deer don't eat it. All good for here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not having grown Cactus myself in the past, I'm fast becoming interested. The blooms on your Foxtail Cactus are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun to give them a try Bernie. I avoided them for the longest time even though opuntias pop up like weeds in my yard.

      If you don't already follow "Danger Garden", I'd highly recommend it because Loree grows all types of cactus in distinct wet season/dry season climate with the added fun of freezing winter weather.

      http://dangergarden.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.