Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Wildlife Wednesday December 2019: Crested Caracara

Crested Caracara birds have been residents of our woods for a number of years yet they rarely venture into the yard.  The last few weeks we have been treated to up close views of these magnificent birds commonly known as Mexican Eagles. 

A juvenile perhaps going by size and the beak is not deep orange yet.  They are raptors and members of the Falcon family so not technically eagles.


I was mesmerized as it moved from branch to branch waiting for a chance to get water from a bowl we keep out for wildlife.  One nearly flew into me the day before as I was weeding near the watering station.


Caracara birds are full time residents in San Antonio and their range extends from South Texas to the tip of South America.  Though they generally stick close to the Mexican border they have been spotted up in North Texas on occasion.

What a beauty!


It's our honor to host such magnificent birds!

I'm joining Tina at "My Gardener Says..." for Wildlife Wednesday on the first Wednesday of each month.

5 comments:

  1. Great shots of the Cara Cara. I think they're such lovely birds. I don't see them often here in North Austin, but if I go just a bit south--there is always one, drifting beautifully in the breeze. Thanks for joining in--and for the reminder! I totally missed the first Wednesday of the month! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you just missed it! Better than quitting Wildlife Wednesday which enjoy so much.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photos! I see these semi-regularly at my place between Wimberley and Blanco, they really are pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has a head and beak unlike any other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.