Sunday, October 15, 2017

GBBD October 2017: Magic

When I posted my traditional October 9 "Before and After" of our front landscape fellow blogger The Outlaw Gardener commented that it was "magic".  I loved the word he applied to my gardening efforts.

This morning was an early one for me.  Yesterday I managed to successfully pull off hosting a Garden Conservancy Open Days Tour in six different locations across our rather largish city.  You'd think I would sleep like a rock afterwards.  Instead, I was wide awake before dawn and itching to get out in my own garden.

So I'll share these blooms for Garden Blogger's Bloomday.  Not too much commentary, just enjoy the magic of early morning in the garden.

White Heath Aster (Symphyotrichum ericoides) stopped me in my tracks and had me headed back to the house for the camera.  When did that start blooming?  Well, I have been busy.


Moving left for a wider view of the circle garden.


Silvery, billowy Estafiate,  a type of artemesia, which requires zero care as long as it gets full sun and little water.


Mexican Sage (Salvia darcyi)


Maxmillian Sunflowers (Helianthus maximiliani


Up close



From the other direction


And another shot because I can't get enough of them so neither shall you.



Hyacinth Bean Vine decided to put in an appearance.  It's barely 18" high but blooming away.  Someday it will show up early enough to climb the post.  After three years I'm still waiting.


Triple purple Datura in the flower "bed".


That giant bouquet in the tank garden is still growing.


Plants grow into the paths where they will.  I long ago gave up trying to keep them in check.


Around front, Deer muhly (Muhlenbergia rigens) with a backdrop of white Plumbago.
 

El Toro Muhly (Muhlenbergia emersleyi) which I question all summer why I have this somewhat weedy grass in my front garden.  Then this happens.  Oh yeah, that's why.


Happy Garden Blogger's Bloom Day!   GBBD is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens on the 15th of each month and you can see even more blooms by heading over there to check out the links.


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your successful Open Days event, Shirley! Your garden does indeed look magical, especially in that wonderful early morning light. My hyacinth bean vine is even further behind than yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hyacinth Bean may be small, but it sure is pretty!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I would say "magic" applies in your garden, and the lighting of your photos shows it. Hyacinth Bean vine performed poorly in my garden this year, too, but it's really taking off now--a little late. Your pathways and the angle of the sun shining through the grasses...enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of beautiful blooms! Congrats on the successful garden tour, that's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of work. We pulled it off and are already planning another in two years!

      Delete
  5. A beautiful GBBD - I love all those salvias! And the Muhlenbergia emersleyi, which I'm unfamiliar with. How big does it get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Amy. El Toro Muhly stays fairly compact at 3'x3' especially when compared to Big Muhly at 6'.

      https://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/ornamental-grass/muhlenbergia-emersleyi-el-toro

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.