Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Complaints about the Rain?

During our recent years-long drought I was pretty sure I would never complain about rain again.  But now it's been raining for weeks.  Amazing amounts of pouring rain.  Almost an average year's worth of rainfall in five months and double the annual rainfall of our recent drought years.  In this weather map from Sunday afternoon my house (and garden) are within those darkest spots near the top of the map.



Our typically dry creek is way up.


We have emptied our improvised rain barrel system over and over.  Remembering those drought years keeps us putting out the rain barrels even though there's no place to use the water.


With the ground saturated, rainwater stands on the dry-loving buffalo grass.



Mulched paths have washed out.  Standing water is usually a rare sight even on rainy days.


Some of my xeric plants are showing signs of stress and I've moved as many as I can under cover.  A few are already lost and rain is predicted almost every day this week.  These things are not problems, all this can be repaired or replaced.

It is much worse in neighboring areas.  In the beautiful town of Wimberley, just over an hour away, more than 300 homes have been destroyed by the river's fury and dozens of people are still missing.

More rain is on the way, but overall I can't complain.

15 comments:

  1. I was shocked to hear so many homes were destroyed and/or washed away! We had similar flooding a few years back, but not near as many homes were damaged (though a few did wash into the widening rivers and lakes). Like you, I feel thankful that any damage from drought or floods in recent years has been comparatively minor and manageable. Prayers for those who have lost homes or loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is the river rose by 35 feet in just over an hour and a 40 foot wall of water crashed into town. It's just heartbreaking to hear the stories.

      Delete
  2. It seems like it's either drought or deluge in Texas. But your aquifers are filling up as are creeks, rivers, and reservoirs. I do hope the flooding stops and that everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it has been that way the last few years. The lakes are filling up surprisingly fast now so we should be good through the rest of the year for water resources.

      Delete
  3. We've heard about the torrential rains there Shirley, hope it eases off soon and you all get some respite from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for photos of your yard Shirley. Since I was in Florida last weekend ( no rain there! ) I missed seeing the results until I got home. It's so rare to see standing water in San Antonio and I think I can put my buckets away for awhile. Now I'm just worried about all of the breeding places for mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been an amazing amount of rain, hasn't it! I am happy to see that you are safe and as you say - the plants we lose can all be replaced, mulch will go back down, and rain barrel systems will be appreciated again once the rains taper off. Which they must, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I was thrilled to NOT get a drop a rain yesterday, and I really hadn't thought that would ever happen. Do take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It rained again at my house just this morning. Seems like it rains every day now. The garden is becoming a jungle and the noise of the frogs at night is crazy loud. This must be what it's like to live in a tropical rain forest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew your weather was often the opposite of ours (I'm amazed at almost 1" of rain in 2 weeks...and in May). Good graphic - what a last week especially. I had no idea 300 houses were destroyed there - Wimberley isn't that large - that's just terrible.

    Seeing your arroyo that full is something, just glad you are high and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking about you Shirley and other TX garden bloggers. Glad you have not had too much damage, and as you say much can be repaired....yes the rain is needed but the death and destruction seems overwhelming now...hoping there is some semblance or normalcy ahead of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the deep appreciation of rain after battling with drought, but sympathies to those dealing with catastrophic floods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's an incredible shift in the weather. I'm glad to hear you're alright. I hope the rain eases up, or at least moves to an area that can absorb it without harm. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to "hear" from you as I've been wondering how you, and your garden, are doing. It's just crazy times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard about Wimberley on the news and about your rain. Glad to hear that you are o.k!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weather patterns everywhere seem to be going completely berserk. Hope you continue being able to say "overall, I can't complain".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.