Friday, April 24, 2015

Favorite plants in the garden for April

Linking up with Loree at Danger Garden to share a few of my favorite plants in the garden for April.  These also happen to be some of the newest plants.

Echeveria 'Black Knight' from a recent visit to The Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, Texas.



Goes nicely in this thrift shop ceramic pot already on hand.



The next two are from the San Antonio Cactus and Xerophyte Society Annual Show and Sale which I attended yesterday.  It's free and still going on through Saturday at the San Antonio Garden Center.

Opuntia vulgaris variegata has been on my list for a while for the pattern and color.  It's not entirely cold hardy so I'll find a suitable pot for it (eventually).  That "arm" on the left popped off just after this photo so I already have another start of it.


Agave Parryi 'Lime Streak' just stood out with the great color.  Looks like a good match for the opuntia (above).  Small and slow growing it will have to stay in a container planting for a while.


In my Spectacular Sophora Secundiflora post in March I promised to link it to My favorite plant.., I was distracted by a trip to visit family that week and forgot so I'm adding it for April.  Better late than never!

To see more favorite plants from garden bloggers for April check out the comments section at Danger Garden.

14 comments:

  1. That thrift shop pot is adorable. I buy containers there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love browsing the thrift shop for garden stuff.

      Delete
  2. Interesting plants one and all but I love the Echeveria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of them are beauties but the markings of the Opuntia stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amassing quite a collection of wonderfully variegated succulents. That opuntia is great - so familiar on the one hand and yet so exotic. Color me green (and white) with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agave Parryi 'Lime Streak'...wow! I'd grab that one in a heartbeat. Great additions to your collection Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great selections! Is the Echeveria an outdoor potted plant year-round? I wonder how it would do as a potted indoor plant? I think I've seen people mention that they have them as indoor plants. Maybe I'll try it sometime. The pot you have it in is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echeveria comes inside when we get below 40F. The challenge is to not overwater them indoors. With plenty of light they do fine.

      Delete
  7. Lime Streak is a very cool Agave plant that looks like a cactus. We just had an interesting demo on cactus at our garden club. My dad used to collect them. Not my favorite plant, but I do like the Agave and Echeveria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love that Opuntia. I'm a sucker for variegated plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley, tried to post but I think I've deleted it. You had a lovely tradescantiaotted up in a post of a garden tour by Pam Penick. Could you share the variety. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be referring to the Cobweb Tradescantia. It was a passalong plant so I don't have a firm ID. Very cold hardy so I like it quite a lot.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.