Thursday, May 15, 2014

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day May 2014

It's Garden Blogger's Bloom Day and time to share the plants blooming in my garden.  It's been a very dry spring in San Antonio but substantial rains in the last few days are helping out quite a bit.

The biggest and best bloom surprises are these Color Guard Yuccas planted just over two years ago, which are sporting their first ever blooms.  With more than 10 hours of direct sun a day during summer months these plants have grown to nearly four feet diameter in a very short time.  The third bloom was caught on a leaf and is lagging behind.  I will look forward to these creamy, bell-shaped beauties each year from now on.


Around back in the cactus garden the cactus groundcover Opuntia humifosa is spreading out and blooming bright yellow.  This unique cactus lays nearly flat to the ground.






Nearby one Larkspur has defied the drought and will offer more seeds to spread next fall.


My current favorite wildflower combination of solid yellow Mexican Hats and Prairie Verbena which I featured for National Wildflower Week a few days ago.


More Mexican Hat flowers ranging from deep burgundy to orange fill the buffalo grass lawn.


In the circle garden Green Santolina is covered with a mass of yellow button blooms.


I have a couple more of these to add to the garden for an even bigger display next year.


Around front by the sidewalk the Gray Santolina is also blooming.



Nearby the Manfreda maculosa has pushed its lily-like bloom six feet into the Vitex.


The bloom stalk from this tiny plant is always amazing.  A few coral hesperaloe blooms have escaped the browsing deer to add to the scene.


This hesperaloe bloom took on a curlicue form which helped it avoid deer browsing.


Yellow Cestrum took a while to recover from the winter but is blooming away now.


My very special Mr. Moy rose is blooming beautifully again.


The tank in the circle garden has been planted with Verbena bonariensis and Mexican Feather Grass inspired by a photo on Pinterest.



Clammy Weed has invited itself to the party.  Last year I posted that I would love to have more of these and I got my wish.  It's a prolific seed thrower and these seeds were transferred to the tank garden with the soil.



It's kind of pretty for a weed, and bees love it.



That's the best of the blooms for this week in May.  For more blooms check out May Dreams Gardens to see what bloggers from all over the world have blooming in their gardens this week.

21 comments:

  1. Love the Mexican Hats and Verbena! I was going to say the Clammyweed reminds me of Cleomes until I looked it up and found out they're in the same family. I enjoy growing Cleomes as annuals and they're great cut flowers. Your garden looks great, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look a lot like Cleome and a common name for it is Dwarf Cleome. Many sites list it as Cleome but it is actually in the caper family. Either way it is an excellent plant in my garden. I might try some as cut flowers it looks like I will have plenty.

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me of my intention to try growing Santolina. I'm on a campaign (of necessity) to expand my collection of drought tolerant plants and I'm sure I can continue to pick up tips from your garden. Happy GBBD, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great plant for CA and I think it is easily found in nurseries there.

      Delete
  3. Those Yuccas look more spectacular with those towering blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad they only appear once a year but at least they last several weeks.

      Delete
  4. Shirley, thanks for always inspiring me with new information about the plants that do well in our area. I just went back to your eariler post about clammyweed because I couldn't decide where to plant the one you gave me. Sun it is! I should have know, since you only grow the toughfest plants! Also, I have some cardinal vine for you. Talk about a plant that comes back year after year! You will have cardinal vine forever once it's in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it out where the deer are too since they never bother it in my yard.

      It's nice to know my ideas inspire you.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't familiar with Clammyweed - it IS pretty! Do the deer bother it? I'm finding the new Momma deer in our area seem especially hungry of late - perhaps because they are nursing young. The ones here have chomped off every single hesperaloe bloom stalk, completely annihilated the Indian Paintbrush and they've pulled out a few smaller bee balm plants as well. It is this time of year that reminds me several times daily - if I'm going to plant anything I want to survive it will have to either grow back quickly or resist those hungry hungry front yard "hippos"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't bother the Clammyweed in my garden, it is a bit sticky. The deer must be hungry if they are taking out your wildflowers. Apparently they have a number of other options in my neighborhood so I don't have the kind of damage you have.

      Delete
    2. Based on your photo (and online assurances deer don't like them!) I bought a packet of Clammyweed seed from Native American Seeds. Can't wait now for Fall and putting out the seed for next year!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm so glad to hear you are going to try them. I'd try to plant a few seeds now because I still have seedlings appearing new each day and they don't seem to mind the heat.

      Delete
  6. The yucca looks nice. Have you noticed any bugs in the flowers? My pale leaf yucca flowers were attacked by a little beetle. They probably caused the flowers to turn brown and drop a little early. Do you regret wishing for more clammy weed? I am not sure if I should apologize for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few bugs that looked like tiny stink bugs which flew away when we shook the stalks. I didn't notice any problems with the flowers browning but I have seen that happen to yuccas.

      The clammy weed is a very good plant for my garden. I have a lot of space and enjoy plants that don't need much help. The seedlings pull right out. I have only shared it with Melody who has a lot of space to fill with native plants.

      Delete
  7. I just love the flowers of Yucca, I have seen them in other people’s gardens over here but can’t manage to find a space for such a big plant in my own garden. You obviously have a good spot for them since you got flowers after just 2 years.
    Your little rose looks lovely, such an unexpected plant among all the prairie flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roses with wildflowers look is a style that works well in San Antonio and is quite popular in Texas.

      Delete
  8. I have Opuntia humifosa growing in my garden too, just a few buds though...no flowers yet. Those yucca bloom spikes are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by the beauty of those spikes contrasted with the colors of the plant.

      Delete
  9. Another look at those Mexican Hats...my envy knows no bounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing in that I never water them yet they return each year despite our ongoing drought.

      Delete
  10. Shirley what a delight to see your blooms...many reminded me of the beauty of spring in the desert....and a surprise rose....not sure we will see any this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.