Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Swan Song at The Antique Rose Emporium


These two agaves somehow knew this was the last chance to show their stuff.

 
A few weeks ago I wrote about the blooming of this Agave Ovatifolia I had often admired at The Antique Rose Emporium here in San Antonio. 

On Friday 15 June, I returned as promised to follow up on the Agave Ovatifolia bloom and check out the enormous Agave Americana bloom going up just behind the adobe courtyard.  In response to questions from readers my plan was to follow these two agave plants as they reproduced and then died off.

 

That's not likely to happen now since the next day news arrived in the form of an email from The Antique Rose Emporium.   They will close the San Antonio location in July due to downsizing.   The store in Independence near Brenham will remain open along with the mail order business.

Here's another view of the Agave Americana, the base plant is over nine feet high and the bloom appears to be 30 feet high.


I will miss these gardens and the staff whom I have gotten to know over the years.



I'll also miss the resident cats, especially Spot (on the left) who has followed me around on many a visit.


About the time I turned my attention to the landscaping at our home here in San Antonio in 2009, I also discovered The Antique Rose Emporium nursery and demonstration gardens.  On that first trip to visit these gardens I knew I had found my inspiration.
 


Walking through the large center courtyard planted with drought tolerant natives and adapted perennials was an eye opening experience.  This beautiful display is San Antonio gardening at its best.


Standing there that day, I immediately realized that my expectations about what could be achieved in my own gardens needed to be revised upward.

Just a few of my favorite ideas in practice here

Native wildflowers are beautiful in the garden


Cactus, succulents and roses are a great combination for a Texas garden

 



Bottle trees are cool

 
Yard art too


Go Texan and go big


I never wanted a rose garden and, actually, I still don't.  At The Antique Rose Emporium there are no formal rose gardens.  The roses are combined with perennials, cactus, annuals, and succulents to spectacular effect.



I often marveled at the vision that went into creating these garden spaces.  There are so many special spots here.  The adobe courtyard is a place I could spend all day.


Except when I'm enjoying the blue adobe courtyard


I surely will miss this place

 
A look back at my previous posts on The Antique Rose Emporium

Fall 2011 Festival of Roses
                Happy Halloween

Spring 2012  Springtime Roses
                      More Than Roses
                     Agave Ovatifolia Blooms

28 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how disappointed you must be. So fortunate to have had such a special place and people to help you discover inspiration for your own gardens. Maybe someone will buy the property with a unique vision for native friendly gardening and the inspiration will continue? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea, they just haven't said what will happen though.

      Delete
  2. I love those cat shots!!! I've got to visit this place if I ever return to San Antonio!!! Agaves. I love these plants very much but it kills me to watch those magnificent stalks start falling down until the crash onto something. They can get pretty heavy. I collect the pups and watch the 10 year or so cycle all over again. I've been out in the garden at night SLOWLY accomplishing my goals:) Monsoon is supposed to kick in this weekend!! Bring on the rain I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many of these agaves blooming around this, I'll have to find one that was as convenient.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful place. I especially love your pictures of the bottle tree and the blue courtyard, though the entire place looks inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough to pick a favorite spot and there's so much I didn't show.

      Delete
  4. How sad. I can't imagine loosing one of my local nurseries. Like Cat said maybe that great space will be picked up by another willing to carry the torch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems hard to believe even as it settles in. All the appreciative comments are helpful to us here.

      Delete
  5. Shirley, thank you for this great tribute to ARE. I count it as my wonderful good fortune that ARE built such a beautiful rose nursery and display garden in our city, San Antonio. While I'm saddened about their closing I'm going to try not to lament it and put in practice this old proverb:

    “Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.”

    I just appreciate that it was here. I am only now becomming more fully aware just how much positive influence their gardens had on my own gardening endeavors.

    Ragna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect sentiment for this time.

      Your lovely mix of roses, perennials, succulents and garden art is certainly in the style of ARE.

      Delete
  6. I too hope someone buys the property and keeps this wonderfully inspirational place open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The courtyards, that way of combining roses and xeric plants, was stunning and so far ahead of most nurseries. Everyone out here whom I showed ARE pics to were blown away. I hope Cat's right. Regardless, definitely an inspiration for my future ideas... The only thing missing there was a place to linger with great coffee and great croissants and pastries. Maybe I'll have to squeeze in a San Antonio trip before my next Austin trip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sad to hear that the nursery is closing too. This is a loss for us in Austin as well, since the San Antonio ARE is closer than the Brenham one -- the gardens are equally delightful. Like you said, no formal rose gardens here, just beautiful roses mingled within the larger garden. Plus the roses look so beautiful against the adobe walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many from all over will miss these gardens. My sister lives near the Brenham gardens and she will be seeing a lot more of me now.

      Delete
  9. Such lovely photos and such a sad post. I am so sorry that you are losing this special place - I really hope that somebody buys the property and continues to tend the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be wonderful if that happened. It's hard to imagine letting it go.

      Delete
  10. This is sad. We're planning to get down there, before they close.

    I do hope someone will take over the place. It looks unique and inspiring.

    Thanks for giving us a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that July 15 is the last day so I hope you can make it.

      Delete
  11. If you want to catch another agave blooming there is a huge one out on north hills village in college park. its right next to the altex near 1604 close to babcock right at the entrance of college park . This neighbor has a really cool front yard garden and its to the side of his house near his driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip. I'll will try to check out that yard sometime. The part I liked about ARE was that it was convenient and I could take photos without standing in the street.

      Delete
  12. How very sad. Hope whoever buys the property appreciates it. At the very least, it will live on in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal, I was surprised how many posts I had when I added them up. Then again not so surprising considering the beauty of the place.

      Delete
  13. I swear, my little gardener's heart almost stopped when I saw that email. I wish they could have let us know they were hurting. Maybe all us ARE lovers could have swamped the place with our love and credit cards to purchase more plants and pretties that we didn't really need. It was such a great place to go, just to walk around and take in all the inspiration. I loved the vegetable garden next to the outhouse. Heck, I even loved the outhouse ! Wish I had one just like it. Maybe with a shower. I could spend hours there. And would have, too, if I didn't live so far away. It was always a destination trip for me. I'll have to go again before they close. What will become of the kitties ? The buildings ? the gardens ? This was the best nursery in San Antonio. What a huge loss for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll even miss the outhouse! There were still so many things about ARE that I could focus on, the outhouse is in some of the backgrounds but I haven't spent much time on the veggie gardens.

      It is a loss. We're planning a meetup event there in the next few weeks which I'll post more about. If anyone wants to join us just leave a note and I'll get the info to you.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful place. I love the courtyards and the
    magnificent A. ovatifolia. Any bulbils or seeds obtainable as a souvenir?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of that HB and just might ask now that they are closing. The ovatifolia pups are especially difficult to come by so I'll see if there's an opportunity to request something like that.

      There are also a few special natives in the courtyard that are rarely available commercially and I might consider requesting a cutting or two.

      Delete
  15. Sadly similar to our loss of Heronswood, but great gardens have a way of drawing support, so perhaps the wishes of many of the above commenters will come true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such heart breaking news. The day I received the email I walked around my garden and was in awe at how many plants I purchased are from ARE. I really hope that it will stay a local independent nursery. I can't imagine shopping at the big box store. I will definitely be shopping at Rainbow more often. Wonderful tribute to them. Please let me know when you guys are meeting up. I would love to join you and walk the gardens one last time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. To comment simply open the Name/URL option, put in your name or initials and skip the URL.